Bus Facility Project: RUS Bus
The Raleigh Union Station Bus Facility (RUS Bus) is being delivered by GoTriangle as part of a vibrant, integrated joint development (Union West) in the Warehouse District of downtown Raleigh. RUS Bus will be adjacent to the existing Raleigh Union Station rail facility.
RUS Bus will weave together a street-level bus facility with bike- and pedestrian-friendly spaces. Private development will include multifamily residential, including affordable housing, and retail in one central and vibrant destination. The multimodal facility will provide seamless connections between intercity rail; local, regional and express bus services; proposed commuter rail; and future Bus Rapid Transit.
RUS Bus began in 2018 after GoTriangle won a $20 million federal United States Department of Transportation BUILD grant. State and local funds also support the project.
Public project highlights:
- Off-street bus facility featuring six bays for passengers, two layover bays, waiting areas, passenger amenities, public restrooms, bike parking, and access to Raleigh Union Station.
- Accommodations for a future GoRaleigh bus rapid transit (BRT) station on West Street.
- Roadway improvements along Hargett, West, and Martin streets, including integrated street spaces, sidewalk and crosswalk improvements, and pedestrian-scale amenities.
- New traffic signals at two intersections, W Hargett St at S West St and W Martin St at S West St.
- Pedestrian and bicycle enhancements.
Three new battery electric buses (BEB) will also join GoTriangle’s existing BEB fleet to serve the facility.
Private development highlights:
- Residential tower with approximately 390 apartments, including 10% affordable units for households at 80% AMI
- An activated plaza with retail/restaurant space
- Private parking garage with approximately 425 parking spaces
Design of the private development is under way. Quantities and composition are subject to change.
Construction began on the 1.76-acre site in spring 2022 with remediation and demolition of three former warehouse buildings. A portion of the warehouse facade was preserved to incorporate into the new development. GoTriangle is currently preparing for the next phase of construction anticipated to begin in late 2023. Upcoming construction activities will include site work, utility installation, roadway improvements, building construction and site restoration. RUS Bus is slated to open mid-2025.
Project Sponsor: GoTriangle
Developer: Hoffman & Associates