Bus Facility Project: RUS Bus
Together with the adjacent Raleigh Union Station, the Raleigh Union Station Bus Facility Project, or RUS Bus, will create a multimodal hub that expands our transit network for passengers in Wake County, the region and the state. The 1.76-acre site on West Street in Raleigh will be home to a bus facility incorporated with private mixed-use development that will include affordable housing.
After completion of RUS Bus, Raleigh Union Station will provide seamless connections between multiple modes of transportation, including Amtrak intercity passenger rail, planned future commuter rail, bus rapid transit projects included in the Wake Transit Plan and local bus service. The facility also will be bike- and pedestrian-friendly.
GoTriangle acquired the property in 2005 with help from a Federal Transportation Administration grant. In January 2019, GoTriangle identified Hoffman and Associates as its preferred development partner for the project. Hoffman has been conducting preliminary design work on the project under contract with GoTriangle.
For the bus facility, which will be used primarily by GoRaleigh and GoTriangle, current plans call for:
- Bus platforms in an off-street transit facility.
- New on-street improvements for West Street.
- New on-street improvements to accommodate future bus rapid transit service on West Street.
- Pedestrian and bicycle enhancements.
- A new pedestrian bridge connecting RUS Bus to Raleigh Union Station.
For the private development, current plans call for:
- 500,000 square feet total across two high-rise buildings
- 350 apartment units including 10% affordable units for households at 80% AMI
- 200 hotel rooms
- 18,000 square feet of retail
- 550 parking spaces
Find a list of frequently asked questions and answers HERE.